Salads are light and astringent & therefore reducing in nature and should be only eaten in moderation by Vata. They are excellent for cooling down Pitta, and for lightening up the Kapha nature as long as they are spiced well .
Chose fresh organic produce whenever possible
DARK LEAFY GREENS, HERB, WALNUT & SEED SALAD
- Chose a variety of mustard greens kales, bok choy, arugula etc
- Rinse well and pat dry
- Chop semi-fine
- Choose fresh herbs available – chives, basil, oregano, dill, thyme, fennel, coriander, parsley etc and chop finely
- Toss together with cherry tomatoes and walnuts ( either soaked, toasted or raw) or pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Add a dressing of your choice, or sprinkle with flax seed oil, salt and pepper, nutritional yeast , braggs, apple cider vinegar etc
SALAD DRESSINGS to Balance The Doshas
TAHINI – GINGER- ZINGER Dressing
Make in proportions according to your dosha.
In a jar add
- tahini – 25% for P &K, 40% for V
- cold press oil – 10% mustard for K, sunflower for P,25% sesame oil for V
- water – 20% for V, 30% for P/K
- ginger zinger – 5% for P and 15% for K & V.
- Add seasonings such as basil (V/K) or dill (P), nutritional yeast (V), Braggs (V) or miso (V/K), chilli (K), salt and pepper (V/K) to taste.
To a jar add
- Active cultured sugar-free yogurt, a touch of salt and pepper, chilli (V/K), nutritional yeast (V), Braggs, basil (V/K),dill (P) or other herbs of choice appropriate to your doasha.
In a jar add the following appropriate and in a proportion suitable to your dosha.
1) cold press oil V 60%, P 40% , K 20%
2) Orange juice, V 20%, P 30%, K 30%
3) Tamari/ Braggs or quality soy sauce 15-20%
4) Add raw apple cider vinegar, honey & toasted sesame seeds.
WASABI –MISO Dressing
Great for the Kapha as this can be oil free and very zesty
- In a jar mix 1 lemon and a desert spoon of quality miso to ½ cup of water
- Add 1 tsp wasabi powder or more if it’s a paste and a touch of sweetener
- Optional to add chilli (K), oil (V), kelp powder (V/P) pepper (V/K) etc