Liver- and Gall Bladder Cleanse
The Liver is one of our key organs for health body, blood, eyes and skin. Clearing the Liver will support the hormonal function and improves the digestive capacity.
We need to take regular care of the Liver by following the guidelines of healthy non-greasy and not-too-spicy meals, no late night eating, and eating in a relaxed and aware manner. Alcohol, coffee and smoking are harsh on the liver, as are the taking of hormonal contraceptives.
Even if we eat clean, since our environment is polluted from air, pesticides and chlorine even in our drinking water, we need to look at regular liver care.
Indications that we may need to do a cleanse of the liver and gallbladder would include poor digestion of fats, low bile production as in a sluggish system, poor eyes sight, hormonal imbalance, pain in the right side under the ribs at the front, skin rashes, anger and irritations.
Herbs such as dandelion and burdock tea are cleansing and nourishing for the liver. Reishi mushroom extract is excellent for flushing toxins out of the liver and is highly recommended before doing a liver cleanse. Our LIVER AID formula is also a long term duo-action cleanser and regenerator and is advisable for all types of Liver conditions for alldoshas.
Here’s one recipe you can use as a gentle liver cleanse for yourself at home.
Liver Detox Formula:
1-2 fresh organic lemons
2 cloves fresh garlic
Touch of cayenne
1 tablespoon cold pressed olive oil
4 ounces filtered water (distilled or spring)
Squeeze the lemons and add garlic and olive oil. Blend for 30 seconds. Drink and lie down with awareness on the liver area – under the ribs on the right side of the body.
Wait 15 minutes and follow with a glass of hot water with our herbal DETOX capsules or ELIMIN AID or DIGEST AID, all of which assists in the “flush”.
You may do this 3-5 days in a row for maximum benefit
Alternatively, you may squees the juice of 3 large limes or regular lemons and drink 1st thing in the morning. Rinse the mouth our well afterwards to protect the teeth. Do for 3-5 mornings in a row.
THE FULL LIVER AND GALL BLADDER FLUSH
This is a strong purge of the whole digestive tract as well as the Liver & Gall bladder. So one needs to be in fairly strong ad stable place to undertake it. Allow yourself a full 2 days of quite time at the peak of the cleanse – the last day and the morning after.
There have been both advocates and neigh-sayers of this approach. I personally have felt relief in my liver from such a process. A friend who did it for the 1st time noticed a remarkable improvement in his eyesight the very next day.
Preparing : First 5 Days of the Cleanse
Over five days, eat organic fresh fruits, vegetables and minimal starch (rice and grains). You must avoid meats, sugar and fats. Do eat so that you are satisfied, but not stuffed. Remember, this is a cleanse. For five days, follow the guidelines for maximal benefit . if you are Vata Vikruti it is suggested that you follow the easy cleanse above as this full purge is Vata increasing, or alternatively, follow the guidelines below for only 2-3 days, with the previous 3 days eating a balance of vata pacifying foods such as sprouted whole grain cereals and a little oil, with lots of Vata appropriate vegetables – see Vata for more information.
- Be sure to have regular bowel movements prior this gallstone cleanse. It is hazardous to re-absorb toxins, gall and liver stones, that may lodge in a blocked colon. Take ELIMIN-AID or TRIPHALA in large doses to ensure a movement after each meal to activate the intestines.
- Take Malic Acid. This will soften the gallbladder and liver stones. You may take 1-3 quart of fresh apple juice daily, however this is a lot of sugar for some, so 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar in a small amount of water 3 x day is helpful. Malic acid powder is quite harsh but effective -1500-3000mg or ½ tsp in 32 oz over the day. Be sure to rinse your mouth out after each drink as it is corrosive to the enamel of the teeth.
- Avoid chilled foods and drinks. They will chill the liver, thus reducing the effects of the flush. All foods and beverages should be warm or room temperature.
- DO NOT EAT dairy products, fried foods and meat for the week.
- DO EAT salads, fruits and vegetables. Do not over-eat.
- DO NOT EAT sweets, meats or wheat or fatty foods.
- EAT fresh organic foods.
- DO NOT take any supplements for the week, it is important to give the liver as much of a break as possible. Only take necessary medications. The exception to this is the REISHI MUSHROOM EXTRACT which greatly help the liver remove toxins for an easier flush.
The Actual Flush : DAY 6 & 7 of the Cleanse
Morning Of The 6th Day:
Note: this is the actual flush and you will want to stay home today and tomorrow.
- If you are drinking apple juice, drink 32 oz or the raw apple cider vinegar or take half the dose of Malic Acid upon waking.
- If you are hungry, eat a very light breakfast. AVOID any sugar, dairy, oils, fats, nuts or cold foods.
- For lunch, eat plain steamed vegetables, before 1pm.
- Do not eat any protein foods, butter or oil. If you do, you may feel nausea during the flush.
- AFTER 1:30pm, do not eat or drink anything (except water) or you may have difficulty passing stones. Follow this exact schedule.
NOTE: Drink water whenever you are thirsty, except right after drinking the Epsom salts and for the first two hours after drinking the oil mixture.
EVENING OF THE 6TH DAY:
The Classic recipe is to use Epsom Salts. They are considered quite stripping on the digestive tract and an alternative is to use large amounts of the ELIMIN AID. They both have the same action of opening the bile ducts and ensuring that the bowels will purge ( ie give you diarhhea) so the stones will pass easily and not re-absorb into your tract. The dose would vary according to your body weight and sensitivity to herbs, but the following usually suffices : If you have been using these herbs to evacuate the bowels in the preparation time, then triple your dose and take this each time the Epsom salts are mentioned, as a replacement.
6:00pm: Add 4 tablespoons of Epsom Salts to a total of 24 ounces (three 8oz glasses) of filtered water. This will make four 6 oz servings or ¾ of a glass. Drink the first serving (¾ glass) now. If you can not drink Epsom salts, use magnesium citrate – at same dosage (15g max of 1:1 not 3:2). The salts clear out the waste that may obstruct the release of the stones. Or take the ELIMIN AID as a purgative as explained above.
8:00pm: Drink your second ¾ glass of Epsom salt. Or herbs.
9:45pm: Squeeze the grapefruits by hand and remove the pulp. Squeeze enough for 3/4 glass (6oz) of juice. Pour the juice into 1/2 glass of olive oil. Use a pint mason jar and shake hard until solution is watery. Prepare yourself for bed. Use the bathroom if necessary first.
10:00pm: Drink olive oil/Grapefruit mixture standing next to your bed. Do not take more than 5 minutes to do so. A straw is helpful to get the mixture down.
Lay down immediately, your head should be higher than your abdomen. Use pillows to prop your upper body upwards. Lay your hands on your right lower ribs if comfortable to give extra attention to that area.
Lie still for at least 20 minutes, do not speak. Go to sleep if you can. During the night if the need for a bowel movement occurs get up. If nausea occurs during the night, there may be a strong release of stones/toxins. It will pass.
THE FOLLOWING MORNING, of the Cleanse,
6:00-6:30am: Drink your third 3/4 glass of Epsom salts or herbs and a warm glass of water if you’re thirsty. (drink the water before the salts). If you’re sleepy go back to bed, rest in the upright position, allowing the flow of stones downward.
8:00-8:30am: Drink your fourth serving (3/4 glass) Epsom salts or herbs.
During bowl movements, expect to pass bright green pea sized “stones” and/or larger brown, yellow or light colored stones. You may have watery diarrhea – this is to be expected . if you do not have plenty of bowel movements with the stones passing, consider a coffee enema to move them out your body.
10:00-10:30am: Drink freshly squeezed juice if you like. 1/2 hour later eat one or two pieces of fresh fruit. One hour later you may eat regular but light food. Continue to eat light meals for 2-3 days.
Congratulations. You have completed a liver and gall bladder flush.
If you expelled many stones, then consider doing another in 2 or 3 months time, and regularly until nothing passes. This may take some time, but it does clear.